11 Sep There is no cloud…it’s just someone else’s computer
During the pandemic, more people than ever are talking about “The Cloud.” But, what is the cloud? The cloud can enable more new capabilities, better security, superior backup, and reduced up-front costs. Moving to the cloud can even let you retire your on-premise server, save real estate in your office, reduce your cooling and electricity bills, and maybe let you sleep a bit better on stormy nights. It can also be a real headache because, at the end of the day, there is no one mystically perfect cloud out there for everyone. The cloud is a collection of resources (read: someone else’s computers) that are connected to the Internet for subscribers of that cloud service to use in predefined ways.
There are many clouds out there- Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and countless others. Some are very reputable and robust, while others are nothing more than an old PC connected to a cable modem in someone’s basement. Collectively, everyone calls it “The Cloud” and that’s perfectly OK, until you need to decide who you’re trusting with your business data.
At Pegasus, we have done many cloud migrations, but it’s not a one-size-fits-all value proposition. Some clouds are better fits than others for each organization we support. One thing is certain: the number of options continues to increase. Even after selecting the best cloud provider for you, chances are the provider will need some help to make the cloud work for you. Pegasus is ready to assist with necessary conversions, integrations, and add-ons.
Here are just some of the things we consider when we look at cloud options for our clients:
- Expected growth or shrinkage of data, usage, and headcount
- Regulatory requirements, such as HIPAA and PCI
- Health and capacity of existing resources
- Location of the workforce- main location, satellite offices, home offices
- Integration with other apps used within the organization
- Ease of migration into the cloud (data import)
- Ease of migration from the cloud (data export)
- Expected costs in year three and beyond
- Reliability and up-time, including speed and outages
- Availability, proactiveness, and responsiveness of support
- Disaster recovery and business continuity options
- How the provider handles security incidents
- Provider’s finances and long-term plans such as acquisitions or mergers
Your Trusted Cloud Computing Manager
Migrating to the Cloud is a large step for many businesses and Pegasus Technologies is ready to be your partner in change. We specialize in fully auditing your technology systems to decode what your business needs in a Cloud Computing System. As experts in Cloud Computing, we will analyze what features your business will benefit from and help you decide which Cloud system will work best for you. Once a choice is made, the migration of data and systems will be handled by our computer engineers with continued maintenance and consulting from our technology team.
Sound overwhelming? It doesn’t have to be.
Schedule a 15 Minute IT Consultation
- Take 15-30 minutes to talk to Pegasus about your cloud migration questions
- We will ask you about your business objectives and IT challenges
- You’ll receive our best recommendations on steps to migrate to the Cloud
- Call us today to review your latest cloud migration options and make sure you’re in the right spot as your organization evolves and changes.